As part of our Age Confidence campaign, I was lucky enough to catch up with internationally renowned make-up artist, Debbie Gallagher, and quiz her on her top make-up tips for looking fabulous over fifty.
As well as photo shoots for ID, Cosmopolitan, Glamour and InStyle, Debbie has also worked with big names like, Jessie J, Lana Del Rey and Minnie Driver – so she really knows her stuff!
“The most important thing to remember is to keep your skin as hydrated as possible! You need to start with a good everyday routine – cleansing, toning and moisturising is important whatever your age, but as you get older it’s essential.
I’m a big believer in the idea that beauty comes from within. You must take care of yourself from the inside out – eat well, be mindful of what you drink and aim to get eight hours sleep a night.
- Avoid products that are too matte or shimmery, as shimmer tends to accentuate fine lines and matte can look very cakey and flat.
- Try and use cream based products where possible – they are easy to blend and create a very natural, flattering finish, MAC do great ones.
- Less is more! I think this should be the mantra of older women, you should accentuate your best features whilst letting your natural beauty shine through.
- Accentuate one feature – love your lips? Then pop on a soft cream lipstick and use natural eye make-up. Gorgeous eyes? Use a cream based shadow to create a fresh eye and keep your lips neutral.
- I really love the way the Susan Sarandon does her make-up – she always looks so fresh and flawless, yet never overdone.”
To find out more about Debbie and see her work, have a look here.
For natural make up alternatives to Debbie’s suggestions, try Inika and UNE – both have some great cream based products.
Next week, we want to find out who your Age Confidence beauty icon is, so stay tuned for our first Natural Beauty Awards!