Following on from my post earlier in the week about the hidden sugars in pre-bottled smoothies and juices, here’s a brilliant low-sugar, green smoothie recipe from the lovely HEMSLEY + HEMSLEY sisters:
Whipping up a smoothie at home is a fast way to get maximum nutrition with minimum fuss.
Thanks to the natural sweetness of ripe fruit you can pack plenty of green vegetable goodness into a smoothie that you might not ordinarily get to eat.
Experiment with different ratios of fruit and vegetables to find the right balance for your tastebuds.
As you get used to the flavours and feel the positive effects you can gradually decrease the amount of fruit.
Try this Winter Green Smoothie as a good starting point and be sure to enjoy slowly at room temperature”.
Winter Green Smoothie
- Thumbnail-sized piece of ginger
- 250ml of filtered water or coconut water (we love Dr Martins coconut water)
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 handful of kale (or try watercress/baby spinach/romaine lettuce)
- 1 handful of winter fruit such as apple/pear/kiwi/pineapple
- 1 large sprig of parsley
A combination we like is apple & watercress, pear & baby spinach, kiwi & Romaine lettuce
- Wash the fruit and veg.
- Remove the hard skin from the ginger and skin the fruit or peel the pineapple.
- Chop your veg – if you have a handheld blender you’ll need much smaller pieces but if you have a high strength blender or a Vitamix you can be as lazy at chopping as you like!
- Add the harder, more fibrous veg to your blender first, with the water. Then add the rest of your ingredients and blend until smooth. If your blender is not powerful then avoid kale stalks and ginger.